bored-over question, SoCal meet, 1600 driving

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: bored-over question, SoCal meet, 1600 driving
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:17:57 -0800
The SoCal get-together was great. Thanks Andrew for setting it up, and
everyone (Craig, Les, Andrew, Roman) for all the helpful advice,as usual.
The mall parking lot was a great place for a meet.  You could take cars out
into the vast wastelands of parking lot and get up to speed all by yourself.
Roman most generously let me take a spin in his 1600, which was my first
turn in one.  Besides leaving me pining for a beautiful interior and a great
stereo, the lighter feel of the clutch, the different torque band, the
overall lighter feeling was a great experience.  They are a great little
car.  (although I think the tight tuning of the brakes, carbs, and steering
made this one a particular gem to drive, or at least made mine feel like a
heavy, clumsy beast on the way home, at least below 40 mph)
probably old news to all, okay I'll shut up now.

If one was to have the block main bearing seats bored, isn't it traditional
to stamp the amount bored over (020, 030) on the outside of the block?
Where is the best place to look? (I've always seen them near the ID#, but
wondered if that was true of R/U engines as well)
Just wondering if searching for piston / bearing replacements (prior to
need) is foolish when the parts may end up being under/over sized when I
pull it apart.
thanks for the info,
Fergus O