The good, the bad, the ugly from Illinois

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: The good, the bad, the ugly from Illinois
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:10:00 -0600
Hey list, the trip to Illinois to pick up the 67.5 1600.....

The good:

Thanks to Alan (neighbor and Jag owner) for sharing good conversation and
driving time.

Special thanks to Nathan Ruffcorn (fellow lister) for putting us up for the
night, sharing Roadster stories/pictures.  Nathan has a beautiful dark blue
'66 2L in his garage!  He has done great job restoring this Roadster.  His
pictures on the web site do not do it justice.   Heck he even made us
breakfast in the morning.  Hey Mike - we need to send Nathan a large SEROC
shirt!  Thanks Nathan!

Thanks Roger for letting us use your car dolly.  I worked great!

The bad:

I took me and Alan 2 hours to get the Roadster out of the field and on the
dolly.  I removed the front calipers and put the frozen rear end up on the
dolly.

It was 15 degrees when we loaded the Roadster.  And for us Southerners - we
froze our --- off!

The ugly:

This is the most rusted Roadster I have ever seen!!!!   The lower 6 inches
of every body panel is GONE!  The frame to body attach braces are GONE!  The
frame is almost GONE!  The front shocks have no lower attach points anymore!

I spent 21 hours on the road and 150 bucks in fuel (me and truck) to get a
Roadster that I can't use for my custom!

Good part inventory:

The 2L head turned up to be a 1600 head in good shape.
67.5 soft top bows in good condition - one latch handle broke.
Tach and speedo in good condition.
Seats in OK condition.
Drive train in unknown condition.
Good windshield.
OK hardtop - needs weather stripping.
Steering wheel in great condition.

That is about it!   So now I guess I dismantle the Roadster and put it to
rest.  Instead of driving home dreaming of my custom - I spent the last of
my Roadster money for not!  As I told Alan coming home - "If this thing
breaks loose - we are not stopping!"  I will post pictures later this week -
for a good laugh:-)

Phil
SEROC
'66 1600