Re:

To: The Belgian Roadster <chriss@euregio.net>
Subject: Re:
From: Paul Gabriel <heyace@home.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 16:33:26 -0700
The Belgian Roadster wrote:

> Hi List,
> Started the check my 5 speed 2000 trans. Can anybody tell me about the
> "5th neutral" problem? What's it all about?
> Any other thinks that need special attention?
>
> Chris-The Belgian Roadster

Chris,

I am having my tranny rebuilt as we speak.  I went down and looked at it
while it was all apart and I mentioned to the guy rebuilding it that
there is a problem with these (2000 5sp) tranny's with regard to the
fifth gear,  not really knowing what specifically the problem was just
that I had heard alot of guys weld the fifth gear.  The guy said Oh!.. it
must be like a VW and is a press fit.  I (looking at the fifth gear) said
I was not sure so the guy took the gear over to a press and sure a hell
it was pressed on to the sleeve.  He said good thing I mentioned it
because over time and with some hard use the gear begins to slip while
the car is in fith making your 5sp a 4 spd.  Anyway the trick is to weld
the gear onto the sleeve.  The guy building mine showed me what it looks
like because he just happened to to the same thing to a VW tranny that
was going into a sand rail.

Hope this helps.

Paul(heyace)gabriel
2/3rds the way through a frame-off restoration on my 69 solex 2000