Re: Superchargers (long)

To: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Superchargers (long)
From: "Adam Fox" <adfox@iprimus.com.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:44:40 +1100
Hey Stephen, how  good is this Victorian top-down weather! Just wish my
friggin roadster was finished to enjoy it......
I once fitted a toyota 1ggze supercharger($350 s/h) to my L18 engine in my
510. I used a Jaguar SU carb in front of it and welded up some manifolds
with a mig. It worked ok, but it pinged on full throttle. In my opinion, to
do it properly, you would need programmable fuel injection, mainly so you
can adjust the timing over a full load vs revs map. Of course it can be done
with a distributor but it is somewhat of a compromise. The other problem
with using a carb setup it that you have to either use a suck through system
as i did, which can cause fuel puddling in the supercharger and small
explosions in the intake(very embarrasing when your car goes bang and blows
the intake apart) and also eliminates the ability to use an intercooler for
the same safety reasons.  If you cant use an intercooler, you have to lower
the compression(somwhere around <=8:1)  of the motor to eliminate pinging.
This lowered compression will dull throttle response when you are off boost.
If you go for a blow through system you have to enclose the carb(s) in an
airbox, from what ive heard this can be tricky to get right.
The supercharger is a great way to go if you want torque from idle, but
doesnt have to same top end power as a turbocharger.  If you want to run
anything more that 6-7 pounds of boost you will need to lower the
compression of your motor.  Pinging(detonation) will destroy an engine very
quickly.
Hope this is of some help.

Adam