Re: New to List and ???

To: Bob Wright <bobw@owol.com>,
Subject: Re: New to List and ???
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:53:01 -0800
Bob Wright wrote:

> I'm new to the list.

Bob,
Welcome to the list.  You will receive lots of useful info for your car here.
There is an archive for this list as well and has lots of good info of
previously
asked questions.
Someone else will have to give you directions to it.

> I finally have my hands on a 1966 Datsun 1600.  But now the questions begin.
> It isn't running, but when I get under the hood, I see an electric fuel pump
>in
> addition to the mechanical.

They probably had trouble getting fuel up to the glass fuel filter.  There is a
cork gasket in that filter housing.  It dries out and possibly needs to be
replaced.  If dry is sucks air, not gas.  An electric fuel pump should usually
be
at the back of the car near the tank.

> .  So, question number one: Should I repair/rebuild or replace the mechanical
> fuel pump?

Mechanical fuel pump should work good if operating ok.  It is possible to
rebuild
most of them.  Or buy a new one from one of our 6 or 7 vendors.

> And second: What all should I look for in getting it back on the road?

I recommend that you first change all fluids.  Like in the differential, trans,
engine, coolant, and especially the brake and clutch fluids.  If the car had
been
sitting a while drain the gas out of the gas tank.  There is a drain plug for
you
to do this.  Check the ignition system;  plugs, points, wires, cap, rotor,
condenser.  Replace as needed.  Make sure you have a charged battery.  You could
do a cold adjustment of the valves until you get it warmed up so you can set
them
hot.

Grease all of the suspension points.  3 for each upper and lower A-frame. 2 each
for each R and L outer tie rods and 2 for the center rod. 1 for the idler box.
Both u-joints if equipped with zerks and the rear pivot for the E-brake on the
passenger side of the rear end.  Total = 22.  Make sure the steering box has 90
wt
gear grease in it.  There is a drain plug on the side of the steering box to
drain
out the old crud.  Fill with new.

That should help and keep you busy for a while.

Bob
67.5
Moscow