Re: 5 speed tranny conversion help

To: Nick Turi <nturi@otw.com>,
Subject: Re: 5 speed tranny conversion help
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 06:01:29 -0800
Nick Turi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I have pulled my engine in my '66 1600 over the weekend as part of well
> needed clutch replacement project. I have everything to do either a regular
> 4 speed or a conversion to a 5 speed. (drive shaft, 5 speed transmission
> and 2000 clutch and pressure plate and bearing). I know that there are a
> few tricks to doing this and I could use a plan to go about this project.
> Does any one have any project notes or good advice on doing this. Like
> where and what the exact dimensions are on how much to cut the floor to
> accommodate the 5 speed tranny shifter hole? Please help if you can. I know
> there are a lot of you who have done this with success. I would appreciate
> any help .
>
> Thanks, Nick '66

Nick,
You may know it already but the trany mount is different too.  You will either
need to replace it with the 5 speed mount or cut and reweld the 4 speed one
lowering the mounting piece that the tail shaft bolts to.
Sorry, I do not know how much to cut.  I would put the 2 tranys together side
by side and measure the difference at the shifter.  Then go from there.  Speedo
cable too.
Bob