Paint Report, no roadster content-kind of long

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint Report, no roadster content-kind of long
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 07:41:41 EST
For all:
Some may remember my paint reports from last spring when I shot
myt 67 pushrod 2L "SAKE RKT" with Dupont Acrylic Enamal.   Nice paint,
and forgiving in that drips or orange peel could be made to go away with
enough 1500grit and lots of 3M machine polish.
Well, I stepped into the future (for me anyway) yesterday and shot my wifes
van (fixed parking lot dings and dents, and crappy chipping factory
dodge paint, its a 94).   I used Sherwin Williams base coat/clear coat,
except on the recomendation of the paint guy, I used the house brand
clear coat as it is faster drying and more amature garage paint booth
friendly.....Layed on 3 medium wet coats color, waited 1 hour, and layed
on 3 medium wet coats of clear.  No drips, no sags, and no
(well maybe one or 2 very small mild spots) orange peel.  Very easy to shoot
the color, almost like primer.   The clear is harder, but lay it on just so
its
shiny, and no problem.  The wonderful thing is how easy it is to blend the
edges from one panel to the next.  Not so with enamal.
My only worry is durability.  I know the Dupont enamal will last practically
forever
and can be shined up if it ever becomes dull.   You can only do this so
many times with a clear coat......
Cost was about $200 for 2 quarts color (makes one gallon sprayable)
and 1 gallon clear, and all the reducer and hardener and stuff.
I did not do the roof, it was in good shape, or door jams etc.  I have
a small amount of paint and clear left over.
Just FWIW, for those thinking about their own paint job out there.
Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Va
67 Pushrod 2L/5spd