Re: Spark Plug Wire Resistance

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Resistance
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:42:04 -0500
Chris,

What model/brand DVOM? (digital volt ohm meter).  I've ranted on in
the past how the cheap ones will lie to you when you need them most.
Finally bought a decent Fluke for that reason.

A few common items, usually resistance will be reading in Ohms,
Kila Ohms, Mega Ohms.  K meaning 1000, Mega being 1 000 000.

Check the scale on the reading when measuring ignition wires. Those
numbers should be KOhms for a resistance cable. If solid wires,
you really need to use resistance type plugs, least disrupt all the TV's
and Radio's in the neighborhood.

For a typical "resistance type" spark plug wire -- you should be getting
around 4 to 20 KilaOhms. If the plug wires have more than 30K ohms of
resistance they should be replaced.

Cheers,

Tom