Re: OT off topic hybrid car stuff (long)

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OT off topic hybrid car stuff (long)
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 07:01:02 -0500
Ken,

Thanks for the info -- interesting stuff!

Here is the USA we have a GM Electric Vehicle -ev1- that
is a very quick little two seater couple. Looks like a scaled
down Citron (French - not common in USA) of years gone by.
0 to 60 in 7.0 seconds, and with NiMH batteries it can go
about 140 mile (range) while still at 70 mph!

Of interest to roadster fans is Suzuki has taken the FWD
electrics of the GM vehicle, mounted it mid ship to make
a small RWD vehicle. All aluminum two seater, ala Porsche
Boxster, that weighs in around 1360 pounds (less batteries).
Topless fun!   For "emergency use only" is a 400cc gas
engine to drive the front wheel to return to a charging station.

Recently in California & Arizona, they have passed laws
allowing ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle -- either electric or
compressed natural gas) to use Commuter Lanes with single
occupants.

For a Roadster... there is not enough room for the battery
packs with the frame in place. Yes, a low windshield car
would be ideal due to low drag, but really needs about 12
battaries to get reasonable range & speed.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.

P.S. Fun thing is I get to do this for a living... love my job, but at times
it is just too frustrating with paperwork! ;-(