registration adventure

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: registration adventure
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:53:03 -0700
I took last thrusday off from work. Partly to see the body back home and on
the chassis, but mainly to spend a little quality time at the DMV. I'm in
process to keep my original California plates on the car. Here's a few
things I learned along the way.

AAA cannot help you if the car is off the computer. You have to go to the
DMV.

I have the original pink slip, which had the wrong address on it and wanted
to have that changed. The address didn't matter, as the registration was no
longer on file and they had to process a new pink slip anyway.

The guy helping me looked up the rules and said that as long as the pink and
the last registration matched the plates, I could still use them. (Mine
did). On the Statements of Fact, you simply tell the DMV that the car has
not been on the road since the last time registered--and if you're like
me--that you have the original plates and want to retain them. It seemed to
matter greatly to them that I had both the front and rear plates. I was told
to mention that on the Statements of Fact. The 'not been on the road' part
eliminates the need for a certificate of non-operation, I was told.

He then said that I would have to return the car to have the VIN number
checked against the registration. I was not looking forward to towing the
car down to the DMV for a five minute inspection, when I read the Statements
of Fact paperwork a little closer. It says that any DMV office or peace
officer could inspect and sign off on the paperwork! I called the city
police and was directed to the traffic division. Made an appointment
(appointment?) for the police to come out and danged if they didn't! This
evening two officers from traffic came to the house, and signed off on the
VIN. My tax dollars at work.

Now all I have to do is take the paperwork back to DMV and wait for the
news. Hope it's good.

BTW, the car has not been registered since 1984. It has only cost me $54.00!

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=881168&a=6499541