tranny case

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: tranny case
From: "Scott Perschke" <s.perschke@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 16:11:11 -0600
I'm trying to save some money by tearing my tranny apart and cleaning it
before giving it to D. Tillinger for a rebuild.  (Though the inside looks
pretty clean to me - love that Redline MTL!).  I got the bell housing, rear
extension and front case off.  I also removed the big nut and cotter pin on
the output shaft. I now have about a 1/4" gap between the spacer that is
part of the gear set and the rear case.  I have disconnected the shift lever
and removed the pin that held it to the shift rod.  I also removed the snap
ring and big washer that sits on the input shaft, right up against the big
bearing.  Is there something else I need to do to get the rear case to come
off?
Thanks much in advance to those of you who have been down this road before!
I always said I'd stay away from trannys, and here I am up to my elbows in
one!
Scott P.