five speed countershaft disassembly (longish, really need help)

To: "311" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: five speed countershaft disassembly (longish, really need help)
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:23:10 -0700
Hi gang-

Well... I've put it off as long as possible; I have to figure out
what to do transmission-wise for my '69 2000....

Here's the deal - I have a really nice servo box, but managed to
bust the 1-2 synchro slider (looooong story;-)  After pricing
the hard parts to fix it (2nd gear, slider, shift fork) I decided
to try and find a good used one.  Oops!  The one I bought, while
mechanically sound, appears to have sat in the bottom of a
Looziana swamp for the better part of a decade; mucho corrosion
and other scary lookin crud all thru it.

After spending some time cleaning it up, it's not too bad, but
it's still stiff and sticky to shift, and the bearings are not
very smooth.

My previous, broken, trans OTOH is very nice, new bearings, etc;
just that busted 1-2 shifter stuff.  If I could figure a way to
swap just those parts from the new (gross) trans to the old
(broken) one, I'd be in business!

.....so this is where it gets freaky.  After perusing the parts
manuals and service manual, my eyes begin to roll back in my
head, and I forget to breathe.  These darn things are the most
cunning multidimensional jigsaw puzzles I've ever run across:-(

As near as I can see, if I could get the countershaft apart,
I could take the mainshaft apart enough to swap the parts; this
is because (from the front) the gears go 4-3-2-1; the biggest
countershaft gear is on the front, effectively locking the main
shaft in.  There is a bearing (slip on), then a snap ring, then
the 4th countergear, then another snap ring, and the 3rd counter
gear.  I removed the snap rings and did a bit of tap-tap-tapping,
but no luck.... and I figured I'd ask the list before forcing it
with a gear puller.

I understand very few of us dare to get into our transmissions;
now I also know why! (:-o The manual and diagrams are not very
helpful, as they are geared toward a complete disassembly.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Huge thanks in advance!

ps- I also happen to have a near-new 240Z monkey-motion four
speed in the back yard.... and I recall that at one time, a
roadster five speed swap into a 240 was somewhat routine...
could I conceivably go the other way, and run the Z's 4spd in
my 2000?  Don't really want to lose a gear, but I gotta get my
silly self back on the road!

       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
   _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28/E88/SU, 5sp, all poly - Z Beast
  `-(#)------(#)-<  69 2000, engine/trans out, making a big mess