Windshield In!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, datsunroadsters@onelist.com
Subject: Windshield In!
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:16:08 EDT
For all: (early car)
After much thought I installed the windshield myself.
Worked great.  Much help from the list
(key point, build the frame around the windshield
first, then install the whole thing)
I glued the gaskets on the glass and let dry
a day, then did the chrome pieces.  I used
WD-40 to lube the gaskets prior to assembly,
worked great.  I even managed to install
the wierd U shaped clamps at the upper corners.
For the galvinized metal pieces originally rivited
on the sides, I shot them with rattle can chrome
and used nr 8 flat head screws and bolts.  Worked
great.  Screw heads toward gasket to avoid interference.
I worked all fasteners in and out with anti sieze before
assembly, due to new chrome plate making things a
little tight (actually I do this anyway thoughout the restoration).
I took a high speed ride  out onto the main road
afterwords, before remembering that it would be
prudent to have tags and insurance first........
What an absolutely cool car to drive!!
Been about 1.5 years working toward this...
now just got to rap up some small details.
finish trunk lid and install,
windshield wipers
rear view mirror,
insurance
exhaust system
Yeee-haa
enjoyed the ride!
Jim
Chesapeake Va
67 pushrod 2L 5spd
72 510 wagon

PS:  Thanks very much to the folks who recommended
having the glass guy come and do the windshield, I almost
did that, and it is a tricky and scary (break the glass) job.
Something I decided I had to do though...