Ultimate Compliments

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ultimate Compliments
From: Robert Porter <drrebob@usnetway.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 08:11:47 -0400
Roadster fans:

Due to this newbie's really horrendous reassembly mistakes after a clutch
job, my 70 1600 has been a garage queen for too many months.  But now, with
help from the list, new PA inspection and insurance coverage, I'm street
legal, runnin' and ramblin'.

I see now what you folks mean by the attention this little bug attracts
(head swivels from Miata guys are especially delicious).  But in the last
couple of days, my stock silver grey, non-red Roadster got some ultimate
compliments from little kids, and I mean little.  One tyke abandoned his
right field position to yell through his glove:  "Hey man, your car ROCKS!"
At an intersection, a little girl on a bike rode by with a thumbs up and
"That's a cool car!"

Interesting that kids pick up on the funky pizazz these cars radiate,
something different from the more flashy Miata/M3 specimens, not to speak of
the flatulent "pocket rockets," popular for teens to buzz around in--those
irritatingly loud, semi-custom Honda Civics, emblazoned with corporate logos
shouting the brands of mufflers, shocks, amplifiers and loudspeakers on
board, with absurdly low profile tires and floor pans scraping over every
bump in the pavement.  I have murderous images of giant fly swatters every
time one of them zips by the house with an exhaust sounding like a dentist's
drill and the inevitable rap bass percussion rattling my eardrums.  Yep,
it's great that the younger kids have better taste.

(Maybe I need to cruise where some older gals hang out, but then this is
central Pennsylvania, where geezers have to mind their place.)

See you at the Glen.

Bob (no, if this were a toupee, it would look better than this) Porter
Harrisburg PA