RE: Engine Shop in San Jose?

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com
Subject: RE: Engine Shop in San Jose?
From: bob_wilson@agilent.com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:12:14 -0600
Mike, P&P means Port and Pollish, right.  I have heard of this (Home
Improvement TV show) but don't exactly know what it is.  I have a small
machine shop in my garage and am fairly handy with tools.  Is this something
I could do myself?  I believe it means to round off the corners of the
intake "holes" in the head.  I could do this on my mill with a "quarter
round" end mill, or do you do this by hand with a grinder?  Might be fun to
do if it will help the engine perform better.

My engine ('70 1600) is apart.  Cylinders seem to be just barely out of spec
for the standard size, so expect to go to the first oversize.  This means
new pistons, right?  The amazing thing to me, considering that most of the
things I have measured are not that worn, is that the cam seems to be REALLY
WORN.  It is supposed to have a lift of 0.335" or so (which I assume means
the lobe-to-bottom distance minus the diameter of the non-lobe portion of
the cam).  I measure this to be about 0.235 which is 0.1" smaller!!! Yet the
cam looks good visually.  This is my first engine job and so am not
experienced at this.  This engine is the original in my '70 1600 and has
about 180K miles on it.

Boy, I got carried away with this.  Sorry it is so long.  ...guess since
this is my "first time" I'm nervous about being sure to do everything right.

Thanks for your response and that of the 4 others who responded to my
question.

Bob Wilson