Re: spinning speedo O/T

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spinning speedo O/T
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:35:59 -0700
I don't know about the Z, but on my 87 Pathfinder the speedo cable
cannot be disassembled as Tom suggests.  Nissan used a spring loaded
assembly on the speedo end of the cable, this allows the instrument
cluster to be installed without having to reach behind and connect the
speedo, but prevents the cable from being removed. The spring-loaded end
allows the speedo to be just pushed up against it, when the inner cable
rotates the square drive engages the speedo. Pretty slick design, but
the plastic part eventually breaks disabling the speedo, or perhaps
causing the symtoms Dave describes. The speedo shop I talked to said he
makes a lot of money from these old Nissans.

There are 3 options to repair the cable, all require removing the
instrument cluster.
1) replace the entire cable with new Nissan unit, part alone is ~$160
(ouch!)
2) Have a speedo shop replace just the inner cable with custom made
cable. Old cable is stretched and cut to remove, new cable is cut to
fit. ~$60.
3) Repair the broken plastic (my cheapo solution), but it is very
difficult to get things lined up properly, works but cable is pretty
noisey and an may result in excessive speedo bearing wear.

Hope this helps.
Todd Osborn
2x68 2L DATSFUN
87 Pathfinder