Re: Starter Problems

To: "Ben Zech" <motormite@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Starter Problems
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:58:33 -0500
> OK list.... 66 1600 will not start.
> All I get is a clicking sound coming from the starter. Battery checks out
> OK.
> lookinf for an easy way to test starter, before I pull it out....any
> suggestions?
> thanks in advance
>

> BZ-RZ N.C. SPL/SRL "SEROC"
> motormite@hotmail.com

There are actually 2 parts that make up the starter, the starter motor and
the starter solenoid.  The starter solenoid is the smaller cylinder on top
of the starter motor.  There are a number of wires that connect to it, a heavy
one from the battery and a number of smaller ones that go to the wiring
harness.  If you look closely at the end of the solenoid where the wires
connet you will find another heavy wire that goes into the starter motor.
Carefully connect a volt meter to this connection that goes into the starter
motor.  Your meter should read zero volts.  Have someone turn the ignition
key to start.  You will hear your "Click".  If the voltage goes up to at least
11 volts, the problem is with the starter motor.  It could be worn brushes,
or a bad winding.  Either way it needs to come out.  If the voltage stays
at nor near zero, the problem is with the starter solenoid.  You should be
able to disconnect the battery and remove the solenoid with the starter still
in the car.

Be carefull working around the starter, the available currents are high and
can arc and start a fire if you are not carefull.

One thing that I do when working on starter wiring is to loosen the clamp
bolt on the negative battery cable so that in an emergency I can disconnet
the battrey able in a hurry.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885