The 160mph speedo incident

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: The 160mph speedo incident
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 03:45:53 EDT
Hello,

About twoonths ago I installed my 160mph speedo and the new pinion and
sleeve.  It was a very very messy job but it went on with little trouble and
all was fine.

Two weeks ago I went out to chase some motorcycles out in the coastal hills
35 miles south of San Francisco.  Once again all was fine and I parked my car
amongst the sportbikes as they all gathered around my open engine bay.  (They
asked to see what was under there)  ;>)

On the way back I noticed that my speedo wasnt working.  Then all of a sudden
I smelled tranny fluid and I noticed a huge plume of smoke behind me.  That
was when I noticed the speedo cable hanging and dragging underneath the car.

So.... that was where I left off my story two weeks ago.
One week ago I decided to check under the car.  Oh my....!  The sleeve and
pinion gear poppoed completely out.  I had a huge hole in my tranny which was
where the fluid spilled out.  Yikes!  It appears that I didnt get the
securing nut and washer attached properly to the pinion sleeve.

Tonight I got underneath the Roadster again and reinstalled a new pinion and
sleeve thatr I got from the Nissan Dealership.  This time I removed the
shifter plate and shift lever to get at the tranny case alittle better.  It
is secure now and I see how I could have made a mistake.  And once again all
is well in S.F.

No.... not a very exciting story but I thought I would tell all anyway.
Btw... I am ready for the BADROC Run and BBQ.  Guess where we are going...?
We will be chasing motorcycles this Sunday.  All are invited!

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex
BADROC