Re: Old Magnesium wheels?

To: casalp@earthlink.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Old Magnesium wheels?
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:41:39 EDT
<< Recently there where some comments about old aluminum and magnesium
 wheels not holding up well after a few years, citing Calspeed as resident
"expert" ;-) on the subject.  I am running at Thunderhill next Thursday on
22+ year old magnesium wheels.... Should I be concerned...? >>

Hello,

Dave, I have learned alot about wheels ever since the incident.  But
remember, My wheel broke only because that particular wheel went into a 6
inch ditch sideways.  All of the other wheels did not suffer that type of
strain.  So yes, it made sense to me why that wheel broke.  I also had a
short history of those wheels and knew that they were not abused or raced on
prior to me using them.

In your case, you have a history with those wheels and would know its
condition.  Of course to be perfectly sire of any wheel or suspension
component you would need to have each piece inspected.... Magnaflux etc.

I see no special concern for doing this session at Shasta/Thunderhill with
the 510 folks.  They set it up so that the high speed straight has a chicane
to slow things down so that you enter Turn 1 at about 60 instead of 90mph.
;>)

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex

ps... watch out for Turn 2.  And Dennis...... which turn was your personal
favorite?