Mt. Shasta invite: Poker Run! (long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Mt. Shasta invite: Poker Run! (long)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:18:46 PST8PDT
For all you heading to Mt. Shasta next week: As you know, there's two
groups - the Roadsters, and the 'All Datsun' meet. Last year I went
for an early morning cruise Friday and ran into the start of the Poker
Run put on by the All Datsun contingency. Although I wasn't signed
up with them, they encouraged me to do the run anyway, and it was
loads of fun! It's a rally, with hints as to where you should be driving,
and along the way you find baskets of playing cards. You build a
poker hand using the cards you find along the way (it doesn't matter
what card you pick, as they get remapped to different cards at the end,
to keep it random - but I digress).

Trust me, it was fun!

I wrote to Peggy Hale, one of the organizers and inquired about some
way that we Roadsterites could join in their fun - and in response
they are willing to set up a 'non-competitor' level of participation that
anyone that wishes can voluntarily join in on! Their run is  FRIDAY
morning (a good reason to head up a day early), departing any time
between about 9 AM and 10:30 from the Ski Lodge. Our cost is $7.00
(they have to carry insurance and such, so this cost covers their
expenses to have us join). Peggy needs a general idea of how many
may be interested, so if this sounds like fun please WRITE HER and
tell her you hope to join them <mailto:hale@mozart.nsc.com>. She
needs to have an idea of the turnout by FRIDAY (short notice; my fault).
I include some of our correspondence so you can better plan.

If my car makes it there, I certainly plan on making the run!

-- John

==

Peggy wrote:
...I can put together a deal for you guys. Normally we charge $15 per
car for the rally as a separate event, to help with the cost of the two
trophies per car that would have to be given out to about the top 50% of
participants and to cover the insurance required to hold the rally part of
the event.

How about a $7.00 entry fee for the "non competition status"?
 What I will need you guys to do though, is sign the insurance waiver
before you start and give me your names and addresses. We will mail out the
results of the meet to you. When we do the results for the Rally, we'll do
a separate "non competition roadster group" that way you guys can see how
you would have done up against the registered participants. I would hope
that maybe someday some folks might want to do some other stuff with us.
Oh, we'll collect the $7.00 when we give out the instructions at the start.
I'll make sure that our rally master knows what's up.

Please note that this year the rally will start from the Mt. Shasta Ski
Lodge parking lot area rather than down by the high school.

It will be on Friday AM, like last year. The start will be open from
about 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM or so. I think that this route will take folks
about 2 hours at the most. It loops around the country side west of the
interstate and up by Lake Shastina, back through Weed and up to the Ski
Park as the finish. We want to have all the rally finishers done by lunch
time or there abouts. It is NOT a Speed event, just a leisurely drive
through the country side, stopping at check points to pick up your card for
the poker hand. The ski lodge is probably 20 min. from town.