RE: Bike speedometers in the roadster

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bike speedometers in the roadster
From: "Mitch Planck" <mitch@ias.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:23:51 -0400
Now I don't have a GPS unit myself (although I would like one), but from
what I understand, they do have a current speed, not an average, although
you can get that as well. Most units update about every second, so they can
give you a pretty good speed indication, although probably not nearly as
accurate as a bike computer (I do have one of those, on my bike though). I
consider Garmin to have the best GPS products, here is a link to one of
their units: http://www.garmin.com/products/emap. They do show you the path
you've traveled, not as a crow flies - they have backtrack functions so you
can't really get lost. Neat units. I've even heard of a guy that used one to
get out of a speeding ticket. He was pulled over and the cop said he was
speeding and he had been using a GPS unit as a speedo since his was broken,
and he said to the cop, "This GPS unit said that I wasn't speeding," and
showed the cop the unit. Unbeknownst to the cop, he had changed it to show
average speed instead of current speed, and the cop bought it.

-Mitch