Re: Alternator help please

To: tomhouse@integrityonline.com (Tom Householder)
Subject: Re: Alternator help please
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:21:17 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,
        Sure it is.  It all in how you hook things up.  I have the alt
hooked up directly to the '+' and '-' posts of the batt. I also have
a lead going from the alt into the wiring harness where the old alt was
hooked up.  This lead goes thru a 30amp fuse.  If you wire all of your
accessorys up directly to the bat. Higher powered headlights, airhorns,
stereo, driving lights, cooling fan, extra power jacks for Irenes
electric blanket and my radar detector, all the juice goes from the
alt to the batt and straight thru to the accessorys. There shold be
no need for huge amounts of power to go thru the wiring harness. And if
it did the 30amp fuse will blow.
        Also, the alt are regulated.. they do not put out 100amps from
the getgo.  They only put out enough current as is needed to maintain a
set voltage ~14.5 Amps.
        So yes it's safe.
                Daniel 69 2000
                SF CA