Re: Timing

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Timing
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:26:53 -0500
> Tom,  First off,  where is your FAQs list?  It used to be available in one
> of the Roadster Web pages but I dont think that page is available anymore.

Good question!
www.datsuns.org has been the latest site I was using. THANKS GREG!

One problem I run into is I will "update" a FAQ, but soon discover
old versions on 14 different web sites. No kidding, some of the sites
I had never heard off... but quite often my FAQ will be there! ;-)

> Question.   I set my timing to 16 degrees ( I have a 7.5 in my 69 2L) and
> then check at 4000 rpm and find it is at say, 39 degrees.  I would then
> move the timing down so it is at 30 degrees.  Doesn't that also change my
> idle timing (of course)?  What is the best compromise if it is necessary to
> make that decision?

YES! Set the timing at HIGH RPM. Rev the throttle to 4,000 rpm. It
should
be fully in by then (if you notice it changing as you slow down the
throttle
to 3,000 it has some pretty tight -non original- advance springs).

I'd rather retard it at IDLE, the run too much advance at high RPM and
discover a melted piston! Gasp. ;-(

For my electronic distributor, I run about 12 BTDC but have full
advance by 33 BTDC. Higher compression, but a neat DeLong camshaft.
I am still running SU's on the car at the moment. Yes, I also run
quite a bit of vacuum advance on it.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX