Re: D-Day

To: "David A. Fox" <dafox1@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: D-Day
From: dhbain <dhbain@uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 08:39:28 -0700
David A. Fox wrote:

> Andrew;
>
> Now I consider myself moderatly intelligent and reasonably knowledgable in
> history [I was raised in Gettysburg, PA] but I must admit, and thus ask,
> what does 54-40 or fight relate to ?
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
> " How many people out there know what the term 54-40 or fight! means? At one
> time it was one of the most recognized slogans in this country, but now, not
> one person in a hundred could indentify it. "

Oregon Boundary Claim
             An agreement between the United States and Great Britain, the
Convention of 1818, had provided for joint occupation of the Oregon country.
Within a few years, however, many Americans began to demand that the U.S.
government claim all of the territory north to the latitude of 54º40', even if
it meant war with Britain. One of Polk's most effective campaign slogans had
been "54-40 or fight!" Buchanan showed diplomatic skill in negotiating a
compromise treaty that gave the United States most of the territory south of 49º
north latitude.