Re: Charging problems

To: KWS711@aol.com
Subject: Re: Charging problems
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:00:23 -0500
> Started having problems last week. Went out for a drive, during which
> the battery stopped charging. Figured I'd put in a new alternator and voltage
> regulator (they weren't that expensive). Jumped the car and still not
> charging.
> What else is there in the system that could be keeping it from charging?
>
> Kim
> 68 2000 CSP
> NOWROC

Kim,

Just because you installed a new alternator and regulator doesn't mean that
one of them could still be defective.  There are quite a few things to check
here.

The basic ones that I would check are:

With a test light or volt meter, check the large, insulated terminal on the
back of the alternator, the one with the heavy lead connected to it.  It
shuld have battery voltage on it.  If not, then you have a broken connection
between the alternator and the battery.

Let's back up a bit.  Are you running stock alternator and regulator?  Do
you have any fusible links installed?

If you charge the battery and turn on the headlights, does the ammeter show
discharge?  (Did the ammeter work before the charging quit?)

With so many possibilities on this one we will need to take it a piece at a
time.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne