Re: U20 Questions

To: "Pam and Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: U20 Questions
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 23:15:42 -0700
Paul,

With all you hear from me, you might think my opinion is crazy, but I think
the U-20 is a very reliable motor.

Ok, Ok, The 60,000 mile timing chain is a weak link (oops), but it's well
known. I think anyone on this list, running a 100k timing chain knows better
and it will be no surprise when it jumps out of the hood!

Blown head gaskets seem to be well distributed within our population, 1.6 or
2.0. Same for dropped valve seats, well, except for the cast iron head
1600's :-)

My melted piston was my doing. I'll bet I can meltdown a 1600 given half a
chance and my former ignorance. When I say "my car is my daily driver", I'm
saying "I'm too dam cheap to buy another car" And I really do drive too
hard. It's a failing of mine I've had my entire life and seriously, I really
do ask myself "What's your dam hurry, boy?". So don't be too quick to use my
adventures as a reliability study. If your speaking statistics, I'm the
skewed datapoint that should be thrown out as an outlier.

My respect for the R-16 has grown by leaps and bounds every time I get to
drive one. You've got to respect the package Nissan put together, The
gearing of the 4 speed and lower rear, makes our 1600s right quick! But,
Dam! I love my U-20. It provides a certain guttural satisfaction for me. One
day soon, I'll own a 66 SPL and I'll keep that R-16 intact and then you'll
hear how I blew it up as well.

So buy a U-20, or keep the R Motor or drop in a KA24 or get creative with a
SR20 or a FJ20 if you feel up to it. You can do what ever you want. What
you've learnt on this list gives you that freedom.

My suggestion is that you toss a coin. No matter which way you go, you win.

Your friend, on the correct side of the "Orange Curtain"
Victor
70 SRL 31113136
Los Angeles
SoCalROC http://www.ameri-eagle.com/datsun/