Roadsters sighted and a little history

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Roadsters sighted and a little history
From: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:25:17 -0700
List,
I saw two new Roadsters today on my trip to Spokane.
One was a 70' 1600 / L18 it was converted 20 plus years
ago by Joe Klokkevold he had just bought it back and was trying
to get it on the road again. The other was a beautiful 68' 1600
in the service bay at Jaremko Nissan. I don't know who this one
belong to, but I will find out soon.

I dropped of a spare 5 speed for Jaremko to look at for his race car.
The owner Paul wasn't there or either was the race car. I have missed it

twice this week. Dave, Pauls son said his father (Paul) was the first
one
to win a sports car race in the US in a Japanese car in 1963 with a
1500.
He tells me it was a single carb that was changed over to the twin carb.

It was just as the change over was occurring. He told me his father
bought
the car back after he sold it and it is in storage. I am going to have
to sit
down with Paul sometime soon and get some photos and pick his brain
a bit.

I guess I should say I miss his race car three times, because Bob and I
didn't go back to the races on Monday. One reason was all my buddies
blew up there cars by then. Dave drove the two liter for the group five
win on Monday not even using third gear. Dave thinks he could have gone
faster with
at least a 4:38 instead of the 4:62 rear end gear. Spokane Raceway Park
has a front stretch that is one of the longest in the US at a mile long.
He
told me it was bumping the rev limiter at 7500 rpm with a quarter mile
go on the front stretch. This was with 205/60/14 tires. They calculated
the speed  at 135 MPH.

Another thing has been pointed out to me is the Vintage guys really
don't
like the Japanese cars to win. Dave told me they don't want the 510 to
compete even though it was produced prior to 1969'. I was told by at
least
three different people this without even asking them about it.

Sorry this is so long , but I am pretty excited about all the action
that is
stirring up around here with the Roadster owners.

BTW. Joe Klokkevold said he was going to try and get the Wolf  EMS
ECU and fuel injection done by Shasta this year.

Mike
Hayden Lake, Idaho
2-69 2000's