Re: Pertronics

To: "James W. Anable, Jr." <anable@halcyon.com>
Subject: Re: Pertronics
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 20:26:16 -0400

"James W. Anable, Jr." wrote:

> What would cause a failure?  Too much current in the primary?  Doesn't the MSD
> run at lower current levels on the points side than the stock points/coil
> ignition anyway?

The unit was designed to switch the coil directly, and yes, triggering the MSD
would be a walk in the park electrically (compared to collapsing the coil),
so it should hold up really well with the MSD.

If you switch the coil directly too low of a resistance coil (to much current
would kill it)

I think either the wrong coil or vibration would have done it in.  Also a wobbly
dis shaft so that it contacts the sensor.

> How does this thing work, anyway?   Magnets and a Hall effect sensor.

> Other than the obvious (not having to worry about setting and changing
>points), I
> also saw the advantage of eliminating point float and bounce at high engine
> speeds.  Years ago, I used to mail order comp points with a stronger spring,
>but
> couldn't find them now.

If you can find "Blue Streak" points, they were pretty good.
(at least in the good ol days)

Jim