Re: Overheating...

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating...
From: "Dana Nojima (CBN)" <noji@mail.ahc.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:31:13 -0500 (CDT)
Dave,

> Until about a year or so ago, the engine would routinely operate with the temp
> gauge indicating about 1/8th inch above the "140" mark.  The "T" connector at
>the
> top of the radiator developed a leak at the brazed joint, and I removed the
> radiator and had it rebrazed at a radiator shop.  The guy at the shop remarked
> about the deterioration of the fins of the front face of the radiator, and
>said it,
> "could affect my cooling".  I said, "no problem, it tends to run cool,
>anyhow" :-).

> I guess I've never had a radiator "rodded" (whatever that is) or
>"backflushed".
> Flush the cooling system as I did a 2nd time?  Recore or a new
> radiator?--alternatives I'm pondering.

I spent some time trying different methods of getting the car to run
coolor.  If your fins are shot, just get the radiator rebuilt.  It will
run cooler and you won't worry about it.  Those fins are what assist in
the heat exchange.

Rodding will not help at this point.  My guess is you can take your
radiator into a shop  and have them flow test it, but if the fins are shot
they most likely will tell you to recore.  No reason to buy a new unit.

Dana
     ___~@ \__       Dana Nojima
    ( ________ )     noji@snowman.med.umn.edu
_____0________0_____ VA San Francisco