Re: Seat Cover Resto Pics

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, nruffcorn@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: Seat Cover Resto Pics
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 00 08:12:06 CDT
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=123299&a=4196510

Nathan,

Thanks! Nice step by step visual guide.

I bought new Pirelli Webbing from the auto upholstery store.
Only problem was it came in a 100' roll for something like
$80. Ouch.

My 68 2000 seat had totally worn out, allowing the foam
to rest of the floor. Yes, with my 260# size, and holding
it against the floor the foam caught fire. Not good! Ever
since I have used the '69-'70 exhaust which moves the
muffler further back behind the "X" in the frame.

One thing I noticed on originals was the light plastic
covering the seat. Finally realized it it to keep the
seat foam from getting soaked if they get wet. On the
other hand I have pulled apart seats and had seat backs
crumble into piles of rust. I suspect the plastic did a
great job of holding in the moisture. Obviously only an
issue for a neglected roadster parked outside for some
years.

Looks good... can I send you my frames. ;-) Ironic, I bought
Janice an industrial sewing machine some years back. She
never did make up my seat covers, but took the machine
with her. Oh well. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.

P.S. I told Emerson and Liam we would build a go kart, but
they had to save & buy the engine themselves. At $200 for
an engine, thought I would be safe for a year. Ahem, they
now have some $160 saved. Time to order some tubing. ;-)