RE: One Fine Day/insanity

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.Team.Net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: One Fine Day/insanity
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 23:33:11 -0400
My emailer didn't like some of the characters and messed up ver 1.0, this
should do it.

At the risk of stirring this list up a little:

It was written:

>>Well I'm a bit confused.  I've been reading the multiple posts on engine
>>transplants and confess I do not understand the need.  (good point)

>I'd say one the primary reasons for considering a swap is the cost of
>keeping the U-20 running and the rapidly vanishing parts, at any price.
>That's one big plus for the 510 types, with so many more cars built and
>the large number of major components that are common with the Z-Car.

Well actually, the vast majority of parts are still available for the U20.
Stock cams have been OOP for over 10 years (solex cams are not)
All Mikunis are pretty much NLA, (although most suppliers still have
a set or two),  but MOST U20 parts are readily available either new or
used.    There are lots of cores around as well, but good one's
generally aren't cheap (there is alot of junk out there too!)

As for price,  yes some of the stuff is expensive, but lets get real here
folks, the 2L was the ONLY Datsun (definitely in the US) that ever used the U20.
I don't recall the U being used in anything else at all. (it doesn't matter
anyway.)
There are very few desireable limited production sports or collectors cars with
cheap parts.
(Limited production is the key phrase)
We are %^& lucky to be able to get virtually EVERYTHING needed to properly
rebuild the U20.   If you want parts for cheap, buy a VW Bug.

A well built U20 is plenty of engine for this suspension, brakes and (lack of)
safety
equipment, especially for street use!

All this brings me to this evenings editorial.

One of the really sad things about roadsters (and it affects us all) is that
for some reason, they just haven't ever (as of yet) become really VALUABLE
collectors
cars.   I would bet that 99% of the owners on this list have put MUCH more into
their car
than they could ever hope to get out of it!  God I wish I had collected Awful
Healy parts!

Since this is for the most part reality,  there are many schools of insanity
that exist on this list:

a. It's not about money etc.  Wake up, you live in the U.S., it IS somehow
about money.
If you have tons of it you probably aren't into Datsun Roadsters, you are
category h., or
yet another problem child.

b. (Hot rod/HP freaks)  The cars aren't worth a crap (in dollars) anyway so go
ahead and bastardize
the &*(* out of it it with the 9" ford rear end, Pinto suspension and fuel
tank, 4 turbo V12 Lexus motor or worse etc.  Anyone know where I can get a used
airbag from a Rover, I think it will fit! and
my car scares me now.

c. (Originality freaks).  No explanation needed, but retentive has to be in
here somewhere,
retentive, retentive, retentive.  Wake up, this ain't a Ferrari.

d. (Romantics/dreamers)  Some of us are dreaming (Waaaaake up %^&^head) maybe
oneday Roadsters will be worth at least something, and out of respect for the
car, Mr. K, Datsun
Roadster Mugs, John Wayne, and everything else fair and good,  we try to keep
ours pretty much all Datsun Roadster.

(OK, I am DEFINATELY in this group).

e. (Closet HP freaks with a Romantic streak) Engine swaps are OK for poor O.E.
specimens,
but please don't please don't violate a NICE one.   (Oh my God,,I think I fall
in here too, help me).

And the associated CFO corollary:  Go ahead and violate your piece of junk,
that just makes mine worth that much more!

f. (Retentive Closet HP freaks)  Go ahead and do the engine swap, lets just do
it with a Nissan
engine.  (Now I am totally confused, am I here????)

g. (Drivers)  It doesn't matter what you do to your car, just drive the snot
out of it.
I need a NEW water pump???   No, I think I'll just try to fix mine.  Next
email: Oh My God I Pegged the Temp, help!, do you think the head has to come
off?

h. (racers) I keep my insanity off the street thank you mister,  $292.99 for a
rod bolt?  Are you &*(%^% crazy? Will it go faster?  OK ship me 9 (one as a
spare)..Fed X P-1, I have to be at Sebring tommorow!!!!! I have the engine
apart in my living room and it goes to the dyno tomorrow A.M.  Do you think I
can put the lightweight rod bolts in on the dyno?????

i.  Insert your description here...

Now that I have potentially insulted everyone ( I offended myself too.),  I'll
pose a question:

What (if anything) could we do as a collective roadster commune, united only by
roadster insanity
(you see it comes in various forms of which I have only listed a few) to
improve the value and
collectability of these cars?

It would be an interesting project to see if we could actually drive the price
up somehow???
(Hey, bigger things have been done by far less people!, sounds like a marketing
issue)
 Dreaming again-maybe....

Jim Tyler

(Hopelessly lost and insane in Atlanta, going out to the shop right now to
polish an
O.E. turn lightbulb, where is my coffee?)