Rear seal leaks....

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear seal leaks....
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 99 09:20:04 CDT

Pat,

I've never seen oil leaking past the flywheel to crankshaft bolts,
on the Datsun Roadster's.

There is no oil pressure on the back side of the bolts, only
a flange. With the rotation of the flywheel, any oil that makes
it out of the rear rope seal will be spun out onto the bell housing.

On an engine with LOTS of blowby, needing a rebuild, the excessive
crankcase pressure will force oil out past the rear seal. On those
engines I have been able to almost DRAIN the oil out of the bell
housing. Everyting is just dripping wet with oil in there, and
enough will make it back onto the clutch. Once again, this was a
worn out engine.

The rear seal is really a two part rope seal. Just like the old
British and American cars. Correctly installed, they work pretty
well. The later L series engines (i.e. early 510 and 240Z) went to
a much improved rear main seal that actually sealed. The rope
seals work, but not uncommon for them to drip a little. A few drips
will never make it to the clutch.

Cheers,

Tom Walter   '67 2000
Austin, TX   '68 2000