Re: Springs and things

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Springs and things
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 00:21:11 -0700
Dan and Louise Yates wrote:

 I need the minimum rotor
> thickness and the uncompressed, off the car rear spring height for an early
> 67 1600.

Well, rotors seem to have started at about 0.410", and since I've never
SEEN a roadster spring that wasn't flat, can't help there!

> I am also curious about the benefits of urethane vs rubber bushings. The car
> will not be raced or autocrossed so would I be just as well off to simply go
> with stock rubber?

Rubber's fine, especially since the really crucial bushings are aready
steel, anyway.  Maybe urethane in the fronts of the rear springs would
make a SMALL diff, but that'd be it...

Also what about reusing 33 year old suspension
> and steering components?

Well, two schools:
1: if you're gonna drive a car, it's gotta be safe, and that means new
parts. (btw, if you're from that school, I'll pay you to ship me all the
"old" parts you take off!)
2: if the original parts still spec out and show no signs of abuse or
neglect, they're probably still fine.  My car runs vintage '67 front
ball joints and has no slop.  Of course, the usual disclaimers of 'ask
an expert' and 'use at your own risk' apply here.  I had a perfectly
good ball joint- tight, solid, even had a good boot on it.  What I
didn't know at the time was, it was bent!  I'd never seen a roadster
suspension before, so I thought all of 'em were twisted a bit!  THe
a-arm was a pretzel, too...
        But you SHOULD spring for new, correct fasteners.  Especially those
nylocks and the top a-arm bolts...
Toby