Re: Leaking SU throttle shafts.

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaking SU throttle shafts.
From: bill/liz wessel <bwessel@itis.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:33:44 -0500
>Hello All,
>
>       I believe that my SU throttle shafts are starting to leak more
>than I am comfortable with.  Is there any kinda of temp quick fix??  I do not
>want to rebuild them till winter, don't want to miss the nice weather.
>               Thanks,
>                       Daniel 69 2000
>                       SF CA

Daniel,

I think too much has been made of this throttle shaft issue. Wandering idle
is more often the result of a sticky breaker plate failing to return from
advance. If you have the problem, check or replace the breaker plate before
messing with the carbs.

That said, you could try smearing some wheel bearing grease over the shaft
ends to "seal" them, and see if the problem goes away. Clean the grease off
with carbcleaner (cold engine, no fires), then see if the symptom returns.

Bill Wessel
Madison, WI
'68 1600, '69 2000,
and GP race roadsters