Re: Too Much Play in Steering?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Too Much Play in Steering?
From: bill/liz wessel <bwessel@itis.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:29:55 -0500
>Hope everyone's weekend went well!
>
>I was working on the car this weekend and noticed that there was what
>seemed to be too much play in the steering wheel. I could
>move it back and forth about 1.25 inches. This car was my daily driver up
>until a couple years ago when I moved to Chicago. I do
>not remember the steering being this bad, or else I was just used to it.
>Now that I am back in Oregon (and near my car), it seems
>pretty apparent. Is this normal? If not, what is the cause and how do I
>fix it? It does not seem very safe to be cruising down I-5
>and have the steering wheel moving back and forth. I tried checking the
>archives but could not find anything.
>
>Thanks for any assistance!
>

>Kerry Z
>West Linn, Oregon
>1968 1600

Was this with the car on the ground or up in the air?

This doesn't really sound too bad, when measured from the top of the
steering wheel at center. Think about it...3/4 of an inch side-to side
before effecting a change....bet most of the cars are no better.

Still, it can be adjusted at the box by loosening the locknut and turning
the screw clockwise....try a halfturn at at time and see the effect. DONT
JUST CRANK IT DOWN.

Check for play at the balljoints and idler bushings first.

Bill Wessel
Madison, WI
'68 1600, '69 2000,
and GP race roadsters