ARRGH!!!!!!! Dist install troubles

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: ARRGH!!!!!!! Dist install troubles
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 20:37:53 -0700
I got troubles

        Okay I decided to do the oppisite of what I said earlier.
I installed the pertronix into my new dist. and then put that dist into the
car.  I thought that I was being very carefull.  The number one piston was
at TDC  and the timing marks aligned on the front of the engine. I believe that
put in the new dist in the exact same way... Now my car will barely start and
only run roughly-weirdly if I keep my foot on the gass pedal.  If I try to rev
it
up it backfires!!  What in the heck didi I do wrong?? I have the timing set on
the
scale on the dist at 0.
I did not take off the valve cover to make sure  the piston was at TDC I used
the screw driver slash timing mark lineing up method.
        Okay here is the really really dumb question.. WHich cylinder is the
number one piston?? The one nearest the rad. or the one nearest the fire wall??
No where have I seen this written down... I did this like the number one piston
was the piston nearest the fire wall.
        What do I do about getting my U-20 vacuum advance hooked up
to the 1600 dist???
        Help!!!!!!!  I got a hot date Sun night and need the car to be running
by then.
                thanks,
                Daniel 69 2000