Re: Gentleman, start your engine

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, jrgbkelly@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Gentleman, start your engine
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 99 11:07:54 CDT
John,

It is really best to build up oil pressure BEFORE cranking the
engine.  I understand if you are not comfortable removing
the valve cover... but very least I would do that and dump
a quart of oil over the camshaft and rockers.

Not a bad idea to CHANGE the engine oil before cranking the engine
over. Remove the oil filter... and try to pour as much oil
as possible into the CENTER hole and OUTER hole where the filter
spins on. Take the filter, turn upside dow, and fill with oil.
Wait 10 minutes, pour more oil in... keep doing this. Most of the
oil wil soak paster the filter element, filling the oil. Put
the filter on.

As already pointed out, make sure you can move the crankshaft
back and forth by hand.

With the spark plugs out, and "little wire" removed from the
distributor (that goes to the points)... go ahead a crank the
engien over. Plugs out, it will be very easy to crrank over.
Crank, count to 5, let is rest of 30 seconds... crank for 5,
rest for thirty... this will prevent overheating the starter
and allow for oil pressure to build up.

I would recommend taking the cam cover off, and dumping a quart
of oil all over it... but is you do not feel comfortable doing
that... then I understand.

As most of the list knows, ANYTIME I pull a roadster out of
storage I always remove the distributor and tach drive, and use
a priming rod to spin up the oil pump, so I have fully oil pressure
before cranking the engine. Most wear occurs on those 'dry' start ups.
Cheap insurance, and I am very picky!

[Other trick is to use a rubber tipped oil can spout, and place
the tip onto the camshaft lobe oil hole, and 'back fill' the cam
and oil galley with the oil squirt can].

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.