Re: 66 2000 motor swap?

To: "Mark" <mruffcorn@ksni.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 66 2000 motor swap?
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:47:44 -0700
Hi Nathan,

I just got back from Shasta with a BADROC caravan. Ken Pearce's pictures
say it all, the pictures are awesome. (Thanks Ken!)

I'm doing a '66 2000 swap. I wanted it done for Shasta, but I'm about a
week behind in getting the engine buttoned up. Along the way, I asked a few
folks how a swap is done. Dennis Currington, Barrie Strachan, Herb Petty,
Mike Kerr are some of the few who have done it. You say you have a '66
shell? Does that mean you're dropping the '66 shell on your '69 frame?

Anyway, if you're using a '66 shell and frame, like I am, then the trans
mount is different. You need to drop the existing 1600 trans mount to the
lower holes. Some say to cut the existing mount in half. There's a tunnel
brace that may need to be cut. The shifter hole will need to be cut for a
more forward position, and you'll need a custom shifter plate. You'll have
to shorten the shift-stick, to clear the radio console when shifting. (Ken
Pletcher, thanks for the 5-speed plate.)

Lastly, get a late-model inner fender for the drivers side to provide
clearance for the U20 air filter assembly, or use body hammers and dollies
to hammer out an indentation. I'm hammering mine out, as I have my
late-model roadsters as a guide.

(Dennis, thank's for the last-minute tips while at Shasta, regarding the
swap. You're one heck of a tough guy, glad you made it off that racetrack
in one piece.)

Fred - So.SF