Re: changing wheel lugs

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: changing wheel lugs
From: "NATHAN J RUFFCORN" <NRUFFCORN@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:29:43 -0500
> I picked up a set of lug bolts for early Corvairs.  There were two types,
you
> want the ones with the smaller heads.  These studs are the same 7/16
thread,
> but are 1/2" longer.  I haven't installed them yet, but am planning on
doing
> them this weekend.

    I took the advice of someone else on the list and did the same several
weeks ago.  Very happy as they were a very INEXPENSIVE solution.  The only
difference was the burl.  The original roadster studs had a very fine burl
while the Corvair ones I purchased at Auto-Zone were very coarse.  I used
calipers to compare and the burl diameter was the same on both.  They pulled
through fine.
    The burled section was also shorter on the corvair studs which was great
for my alloy wheel application as it gave me a few more threads to use
rather than the lug bottoming on the shoulder of the stud.  (That's why I
replaced them as all my lugs were a "hair" to long and after torquing them
down, one of the lugs crossthreaded after bottoming out).  Also if I
remember correctly, on my 70 1600, the rear studs were a little bit longer
than the front-they may be the same length but their are more threads
exposed in the rear after assembly.

Enjoy
Nathan