Shasta questions.

To: Datsun Roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shasta questions.
From: "Eric R. Wittinger" <wittiner@ee.pdx.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:09:02 -0700 (PDT)
HI all,
I am going to Shata this year and wanted to check if there would be any
intrest in my bring some extra parts that I will never use.  These parts
are for a 411 in most cases, water pump, air filter and other things that
do not belong on a roadster, that I aquired. I figure some one out there
could
use them, cheap or trades would be welcom.

Next question.

I found a 2L motor with the famous timing chain craked valve cover.  I
ttok off the head last night (my first 2L encounter)  And what I saw looks
bad but how bad is what I am looking for opions on.  No Pictures, sorry.
There are 23 valves missing the smaller diameter ones (intake?) the shafts
are still left in the head.  THe head suffered no real visible damage from
these peices breaking.  The Pistons on the other hand, 2 of them that is
have nice 1/4 + indentions in them from where this shaft was pressed into
them. there is also some nice ring dents from some of the other valves.

Question, what goes what stays, and what king of $$$ are we talking.

One thing That I found weird is that the upper timing chain didn't appear
broken but rather someone did not tighten the bolts hoding the tensioner
and toothed gear to the top enough, since they were just sitting there
unhooked alread, yet no damage from them coming undone except for the hole
inthe valve cover.

Thoughts on that might have happend??

THanks
Eric

| Eric R Wittinger                             |
| Pacific Northwest National Laboratory        |
| NSD Radiological and Chemical Sciences Group |
| Web page            www.ee.pdx.edu/~wittiner |
| Email               wittiner@EE.pdx.edu      |
| Email (work)        Eric.Wittinger@pnl.gov   |