bent axles and throttle springs on steroids

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: bent axles and throttle springs on steroids
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 08:42:29 PST8PDT
I think I know the answer, but need a reality check... The new '69
for the wife has a wobble in the rear wheel. At first I thought it
was the funky oversized rim not quite fitting, but last night I checked
runout on the face of the flange (the plate with the studs).
There's maybe a 32th inch of variance as it rotates. Is there any
way a bad bearing could do this, is it possible it's always been
defective, or did someone manage to actually bend the axle without
leaving other signs of damage? (Maybe it was hit in the wheel
and that's why there's non-stock wheels on it now? Hmmm)

I'd rather not take a 'donation' off  the project car in the back yard, so
what's the going rate on a straight axle? Preferably one ready to
install with serviceable bearing and backing plate. Anyone planning
on having one for sale at Mt. Shasta?

Next question: are throttle springs available? Haven't checked with
the dealer yet... mine are way too stiff, including the 'curly-q' one that
wraps around the shaft. Hitting the gas just about takes both feet :-)
Were there different springs, or did the PO make do with whatever
'Joe's hardware and bodybuilding supply' have in stoock? I can see the
carb springs being wrong, but where did they even find a replacement for
the one on the throttle shaft?...

-- John

P.S. If anyone wants to find me at Mt. Shasta, I'm putting a tag on my
windshield that'll have my email address and room number (yellow
1600, Mountain Air). Drop by and say hi! And if you guys take off for a
midnite run, let me know - I always seem to miss out :-(