Re: Driving cross-country...hints/tips?

To: <DemonTSi@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Driving cross-country...hints/tips?
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:26:04 -0500
>Hi!
>
>I've made the trip more times then I care to remember.  After the sixth, I
>started taking different routes just to see something new.
>
>First, have your friend join AAA,
>Second, have AAA do a trip ticket up for them.
>Three, have them see things on the way (the drive gets old)
>Definitely detour (if on route I-40) to the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert,
>Meteor
>Crater, Petrified Forest,  I think they can swing by Vegas as well.
>
>AAA will give a flip trip ticket (handy hand map with enlarged foldout) plus,
>when asked, they will give them tour books (with lots of info for eating,
>sleeping, and sight seeing) for the states they pass through.  An added
>benefit
>is AAA usually has information on road conditions when mapping out the
>route.  If
>your friend wants to detour to see different things on the way, the should
>tell
>AAA and ask for the route for that.
>
>I have been doing this since 1982 and I always use AAA.
>
>Now, if I am doing a round trip, I usually just fly.  Getting old I guess.
>: - o
>
>Tell them to have fun.
>
>Good Luck!
>
>Jim

Good point, Jim. Be aware that, at least here in Texas, there are two
levels of AAA membership, standard and Plus. With standard you get (I
think) 3 miles of towing before you start paying. Plus gives you 100
miles. We found the worth of paying the difference ($40/$50 per year?) on
a trip from D/FW out to San Diego three summers ago. Our car just quit
about 20 miles west of Pecos on I-20 in west Texas and we figured out
real fast why Judge Roy Bean was the only law out there. No one else
would want the place! The only place I've ever seen more desolate (maybe)
is the western Nevada desert between Vegas and Reno.

Fortunately a Border Patrol officer happened by even before I tried to
raise someone on my Ham VHF radio and arranged to have a flatbed get us
back to Pecos and then to Midland, where we spent two wonderful(?) days.
By my calculation, AAA has paid for itself for a long time.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)