Re: Rear spring question

To: "Ehinger, Lee" <76245.1056@CompuServe.COM>,
Subject: Re: Rear spring question
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 20:26:43 -0700
"Ehinger, Lee" wrote:

> Any ideas on where to get some teflon or plastic for full length
> "sliders"??
>
> There must be a commercial application that uses this stuff by the roll....
> THX!
> Lee Ehinger
> 672000
> Ft Wayne IN - wiring up the new garage
> OROC
> 60s and rain

A place in Portland OR called Solidor Pacific (I think that's what it
was) used to sell UHMW (a relative of Polyethylene) in rolls that had
adhesive on one side. It was spendy and you had to buy a whole roll but
in my parts/speed shop business I used to purchase rolls of it in the
right thickness and widths for use with various leaf springs. I would
rebuild folks leaf springs by tearing them down, sandblasting then shot
penning them, powder coating them and then reassembling them with the
UHMW interleaving. It worked great and I sold lots of MGA, MGB, Austin
Healey, etc. leaf spring rebuilds done that way. I still have some of
one size left but it is too narrow for Roadster springs. :-( UHMW is
inherently self lubricating and resists abrasion much better than teflon
would. If you can't find or afford this type of stuff though, any
plastics place can get you polyethylene sheeting in a variety of widths
and thicknesses and this will work fairly well too.

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher