Re: exhaust questions

To: pete-3@juno.com
Subject: Re: exhaust questions
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 23:10:58 EDT
In a message dated 05/17/1999 10:13:11 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
pete-3@juno.com writes:

<< 1.  Should the exhaust pipe on both sides of the muffler be the same
 diameter?  The way mine is set up now the tailpipe coming out of the
 muffler is about a quarter of an inch narrower than the exhaust pipe
 going into the muffler.  This seems weird to me.
 2.  I've heard talk of "glass packs".  What do these sound like in
 comparison to a standard muffler?
 3.  Any recomendations on what to put on a daily driver 1600?  I don't
 want it too loud but I would like to be able to hear a nice purr from the
 exhaust.

 Thanks,

 Matt Peterson
 '68 1600
 Zimmerman, MN >>

Matt,
I recently had my exhaust replaced with 2" pipe from front to rear.  It will
need a little flattening out where it goes through the frame members but will
work and will increase the power a little bit.  I had a "turbo" muffler put
on it which is just loud enough for me.  A glass-pack is just a straight pipe
throught the muffler with some fiberglass around the perforated pipe inside.
They are really loud; probably too loud for street driving.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque