Solex Conversion Questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Solex Conversion Questions
From: CBAKER6231@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 00:02:31 EDT
Recently bought a parts car and replaced my SU's with the Solexes from the
parts car.  The change raised a few questions.

1) The Solex Carbs do not appear to have a vacuum line connection (for the
distributor).  I've plugged the vacuum line into a converted plug on the
intake manifold, but I think the vacuum is too strong at that point.

2) The Solex Carbs also do not have a place for the return line to the gas
tank.  Just plug the gas line?

3) I'm slowly on getting them tuned (they sat for a long time without being
used).  I assume the initial hesitation on hard acceleration calls for new
accelerator pump diaphram?

4) What is the likely cause for backfiring with hard deceleration (car was
already doing some of this with SU's).

I had previously installed the solex cam -- even though I'm still working out
problems with the solexes -- I can tell the difference.  Looking forward to
getting everything tuned up right.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Calvin Baker
Tucson SOLEX 2L