Re: it doesn't look right

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: it doesn't look right
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Fri, 14 May 99 15:10:13 CDT
Stephen,

On the "spacer" there is a little tiny one between the bearing
and the axle flange. Since the flange has an radius on it, where
it meats the hub, that spacer is used (inside edge is radiused
to clear the axle flange radius.

Since it is "under" the bearing, I doubt you could see the
space.

The shims are there to prevent "overloading" the bearing.
Most likely were removed from years ago, or that axle just
happened to have a dead on clearance (rare, but not impossible).

Hard to determine, unless you have a depth micrometer to measure
the bearing recess into the axle. Then another micrometer to
measure the thickness of the bearing.

Having said that, I can not recall the proper about of "crush"
that is imposed on the SIDE of the bearing in the housing. You
do not want the bearing to slide back and forth in the, hence a
little bit of negative clearance. 0.005 seems like it would be
fine.

There are TWO seals. One stays inside the axle housing when you
remove the shaft.

The Second is on the OTHER side (brake side) of the backing plate.
Early designes used seperate pieces, later design as a "single"
retainer/seal/grease catcher. Most likely there, but you didn't
realize it.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.