Re: Un-cool vibrations

To: BERKEN@aol.com
Subject: Re: Un-cool vibrations
From: Gregg Robinson <greggr@macnet.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 09:40:24 -0700

> Jeff,
>
> Sounds like a bad u-joint or the driveshaft out of balance.  They have
> weights welded onto them and it may have thrown one off.  Get under and shake
> it (with the car on good jack stands of course) and if it wiggles at all, the
> u-joint is bad.

I'll add one more thing to Joseph's comments. Not only does a driveshaft needto
be balanced they also need to be timed. With the two piece splined shafts it
is easy to remove the shaft and pull the splined section apart and then put them
back together with the u-joints in different orientation. As U-joints "work" the
shaft actually speeds up and slows down during a rotation. If the U-joints are
not
lined up at the same angle of rotation then they are cycling there speed changes
at
different times. The only thing that can happen then is small twisting of the
driveshaft. Sooooo............  The "ears" on each end of the shaft proper MUST
be at the same angle of rotation. With the U-joints assembles the "flats" of the
flanges that bolt to the differential and transmission should be able to both
lay
flat
on a floor if it were out of the car. Be careful the ears are not 90 degrees out
of
rotation.

Hope I wrote that clearly enough. Sure a lot easier to explain in person with a
driveshaft in hand.

Gregg Robinson
McMinnville, OR
'70 1600 chick magnet