Re: Brake Lines

To: "'Roadster Group'" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Brake Lines
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:53:16 -0800
Hey Paul,

Take the rubber covers off the bleeders, and clean them up. Also clean up
the master cylinder and refill it. That fluid is nasty. I accidentally got
some on my paint and it bubbled up the paint. So be careful not to spill
it.

Method #1: It helps to have someone else pump the brake pedal (on queue)
while you open and close the bleeder, with a temporary hose connected to
the bleeder running into a jar. You start at the master cylinder, and work
your way from the nearest slave to the most distant slave. You turn open
the bleeder, yell "press it down" (and hold the brake pedal down), then
close the bleeder and yell "let it up". You do this until the fluid comes
out clean without pops of air bubbles and dirt. You gotta keep refilling
the master cylinder and not let it go dry. If it goes dry, you gotta start
over. I think you start at the master and the junction, then the right
front, then the left front, then the right rear, then the left rear.

Method #2: You can do it as a one-person job, if you hang a clear hose into
a jar of brake fluid. You open up the bleeder. Pump the pedal a few times.
If the clear hose has no bubbles or air, close the bleeder, refill the
master and move on to the next one.

I like the two-person method better, as you can make sure all the grimy
fluid is pumped out by seeing it go in the jar right in front of you.

You can buy a brake-bleeding kit at any auto store or Sears, for a few bucks (a
hose and connector, optionally with a jar).

I'm doing two of my cars this coming weekend, after having manually adjusted the
rear shoes and emergency brakes last weekend.

Have fun!

Fred - So.SF
70 1600 "Blondee" 'cause she's yellow
68 2000 no name, just boxes of parts
66 1600 "Loosey" 'cause the steering is a bit loose (and she's red like Lucy)