Re: timing chain trivia

To: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Subject: Re: timing chain trivia
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 10:04:13 -0800
Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us wrote:

> Like Ken the Datster, I've got questions about the timing chain setup. I
> found shims behind the crank sprocket. Just how many shims and washers are
> there supposed to be in the timing setup? Can't tell by looking at the
> Datsun parts illustrations, as it skips this detail.
> Those thin shims locate the crank sprocket.  The number/thickness
>wasdetermined by the final machined distance between the face of the thrust
bearing surface and the face of the #1 journal.  Once the crank was
machined originally the shims were selected (at Nissan).   There really is not
a reason that this dimension should change significantly so just
leave the shims where they are, you will be fine.

> Also read that it's recommended to leave out the gasket behind the
> chain tensioner. Something about the gasket interfering with the oil flow
> into the tensioner. Better to have metal on metal contact, and any oil that
> leaks there actually helps lubricate the chain. Any thoughts on this?

Leaving out the gasket would be fine.  Using the gasket would be fine.
Just don't goo it up with silicone!
There would not be much of a pressure drop w/o, and after the engine
is running, those chains are slinging oil everywhere!
Bottom line, it is a less than optimal setup, but works just fine
if all the components are in good shape and the chain doesn't have
too much slack.   That's the main thing.

Jim Tyler