RE: Early Seven Frame/Photo!

To: "john donohoe" <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Early Seven Frame/Photo!
From: "Flemming Larsen" <flarsen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:26:44 -0700
John et al,

Looks real to me.

Check with a magnet. The "Lamiplate" dash and cockpit sides on my
Lotus Seven are vinyl on galvanized steel, not aluminum.

Original Wingard taillights?

BMC Sprite/Midget engine? Check engine serial number on engine.

Look at any of the Lucas parts. Many would have a date code, as well
as the part number stamped on them.

Electrical or mechanical tachometer? Original gauges were all made by
"AC". Very rare and nearly impossible to find by now.

Check the manufacturers of the radiator and fuel tank. There are small
brass plates soldered to the tops of these. I, and others, can compare
these to the originals.

Color of Chassis/frame paint? Some were painted black, others were
painted light grey by the manufacturer.

Any obvious modifications or repairs to frame or sheetmetal? The area
around the front suspension and steering rack mounting brackets was a
weak point on the original Seven.

Front licence plate bracket? All US delivered Lotus Sevens had these
when delivered. Most have been broken off or removed at some point.

Close-up photo of the Manufacturer's chasis plate (VIN plate)? There
were several variations of these. Experts on this list will know the
differences.

-- Flemming Larsen, SB1825/B1644